A Brief History
Black+Decker was founded in 1910 by engineer Alonzo G. Decker and businessman and inventor S Duncan Black. The company started out as a small machine shop in Baltimore. Early products included machines for making milk bottle caps and candy dipping.
In 1916 the pair laid the foundation of the modern-day power tool industry with a patent for a ½-inch portable electric drill featuring a pistol grip and trigger switch. A year later, Black+Decker opened its first large-scale manufacturing facility in Towson, Maryland and continued to grow its portfolio. By the 1950s, Black+Decker was a household name.
Product innovations during its history include:
- 1961: The world’s first cordless electric drill
- 1962: The world’s first cordless outdoor power tool: the cordless hedge trimmer
- 1998: The Mouse sander
- 2012: The Gyro Rechargeable Screwdriver: the world’s first motion-activated screwdriver
- In 2010, Black+Decker merged with Stanley Works to become Stanley Black & Decker.
Black+Decker is one of the world’s most recognised tool manufacturers. Their products are generally reliable, durable and much cheaper than many similar tools made by other brands. However, the overall quality of Black+Decker tools comes in for criticism in some quarters. By focusing on being a cheaper option, critics claim construction and quality are lacking.
Black+Decker markets some of the most affordable tools on the market. Sample prices: Black+Decker 650W Rebating Plane – $89; Black+Decker 18V Li-Ion 45cm Cordless Hedge Trimmer – $149; Black+Decker 18V Lithium-ion Two Speed Drill Driver + 400mA charger with Two Batteries – $133.
A vast product portfolio designed for DIY enthusiasts and hobbyists.
Types of Tools
Power tools such as drills, saws, sanders and cordless screwdrivers. Black+Decker also has a line of home and cleaning equipment and garden tools, including lawnmowers, hedge trimmers and leaf blowers.
If you’re a hobbyist or a casual user on a budget or just need a tool for a one-off project, Black+Decker is a good option.
- Parent Company: Stanley Black & Decker
- Headquarters: Towson, Maryland, USA
- Manufacturing Facilities: USA, Europe, China
- Product Focus: Power tools, home improvement products, hardware and fastening technology
- Website: www.blackanddecker.com